Thursday, January 17, 2008

My apologies, Rudra Pratap Singh

Dear Rudra Pratap/RP/Singh Saheb/Rudy or whatever

Please accept my heartiest congratulations on your great bowling performance in the first innings at Perth. I was disappointed that you missed out, yet again, on a five-for. Anyways, Iam sure you will have one very soon the way you have been bowling these last few months. Iam jumping with joy at the prospect of India winning a test at Perth of all places. Touchwood and fingers crossed. Let’s maintain focus and take revenge for Sydney in the best manner possible - a win in Australia's most formidable fortress with so much pride at stake.

With this performance you have answered any remaining doubts that critics might have had about your ability or attitude. You have performed creditably in England, South Africa, India and now in Australia as well. You have taken wickets on all kinds of tracks - from ones which seamed to ones which swung and to ones which were not misbehaving at all. You have delivered in tests as well the most abbreviated form of the game.

While, that proves your ability as a bowler, your lion-hearted performance in the last two tests, especially when leading the attack in the absence of Zaheer Khan and other regulars like Sreesanth has shown you to be a true warrior - the likes we could have more of. Many of us were writing our bowling off after Zaheer broke down. But you have raised you game and lead the attack with aplomb, getting an encouraging performance out of Ishant Sharma also.

Now to the reason for this apology. In one of my earliest blog posts, I had been extremely critical of you, and had questioned whether you had the discipline to succeed at the highest level. Your effort, which I had referred to, had given me justification to do so as well. My stance had not changed even after your fine show in England. For me you were a bowler with a limited arsenal, lacking in pace and totally dependent on the conditions to be effective – something you had the good fortune to find in England. I was not convinced after the Sydney effort either, arguing that Agarkar also had managed a 6-wicket haul last time round. But today Iam a believer and I’d better make that loud and clear. I’d better join your fan club before your bowling feats make me eat more humble pie.

With sincere apologies

A hopeless Indian cricket fan

P.S - For those of you who have read the earlier post, you would’ve noticed that whereas I was hard on RP Singh, I was literally scornful about Rohit Sharma. Our man has made the most of his limited international opportunities ever since but as I pointed out in another post; he’s not got the fans drooling about him as a successor to the fab four of Indian batting. And that goes for me as well. But you know what? As a dyed in the wool Indian cricket fan, I hope there’s another round of apologies and ‘eating my words’ very soon.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi you are right .... rp has proved to be quite a bowler... especially after a dismal performance by lee and stuart clarke.. it was great to see that rp came back hitting hard and proving quite convincingly that he is here to stay .. and after being hit for 3 fours he got gilchrist out which was very important for india at that stage ... hope he keeps it up in the secong innings too